The Certificate of Attainment in Greek, or Ellinomatheia, is the only certificate of proficiency in the Greek language that is offered and recognized by the Greek state. It was established in 1998 by the Greek Ministry of Education in order to meet the demands of learners of Greek in Greece and abroad.
With the certificate, you can:
- have an objective and expert evaluation of your level in Greek
- fulfill the language requirements for the long-term residence permit in Greece
- enroll in Greek university (B2 level and above)
- demonstrate your knowledge of Greek in the job market
- satisfy the requirements for various professions in Greece
- satisfy the language requirements for public sector positions if you are an EU citizen (Γ1 level and above)
The Centre for the Greek Language (CGL) in Thessaloniki supervises and, in collaboration with officially recognized examination centers, administers examinations that test listening and reading comprehension, speaking, and writing. The oral (on CD) as well as the written exams will be sent to Greece, where they will be evaluated and scored before issuing the certificate.
Registration & Examination Dates
Registration Dates: From February 1st, 2023 to March 27th, 2023 on the Centre for the Greek Language web site.
Examination Dates: May 23rd, 24th and 25th, 2023 at the Hellenic Community Center, 5777 Wilderton Avenue, Montreal (Grande Salle)
The Supplementary Education Department of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal is the ONLY officially recognized test center in Quebec. Students from all schools across the province, not just the HCGM schools, can take the exam with us.
Levels A1, A2 and B1: $140 - Levels B2, C1 and C2: $155
Fees can be paid using the form below. Note that fees are non-refundable, with the only exception being if exams cannot be held due to COVID public health restrictions.
- Level A1 (Children between 8-12 years): Basic Knowledge
Tuesday, May 23rd 2023 - (9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.)
- Level A2 (Teenagers and Adults): Essential Knowledge
Tuesday, May 23rd 2023 - (11:25 a.m. – 1:50 p.m.)
- Level B1 (Teenagers and Adults): Medium Knowledge
Thursday, May 25th 2023 - (8 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.)
- Level B2 (Teenagers and Adults): Good Knowledge
Wednesday, May 24th 2023 - (8 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.)
- Level C1 (Teenagers and Adults): Very Good Knowledge
Wednesday, May 24th 2023 - (12:05 p.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Level C2 (Teenagers and Adults): Excellent Knowledge
Thursday, May 25th 2023 - (11:05 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
For More Information
For additional information as well as examples of the exams subjects, please visit the following website: www.greeklanguage.gr/certification or contact the person responsible for the Montreal examinations center, Kaiti Kiryakidis at 514-738-2421 ext. 115 or by e-mail: [email protected].
Exam Registration Process
Registration for the exam is a 2 step process:
Step 1: Registration
Go to the Greek Language Center website and complete the form on that site to officially register for the exam: https://www.greek-language.gr/certification/application/index.html.
Step 2: Payment
Following registration, pay your exam fee using the form below: