JOB POSTING: Sexton for Koimisis Tis Theotokou Church
Η Ελληνική Κοινότητα Μείζονος Μοντρεάλ ζητεί νεωκόρο για τον Ιερό Ναό Κοίμησης της Θεοτόκου, 7700 De L’Epée, Montreal.
Οι υποψήφιοι θα πρέπει να μιλούν ελληνικά και αγγλικά ή γαλλικά, να είναι ελληνορθόδοξης θρησκείας, να γνωρίζουν τη λειτουργία και τις τελετές της Ελληνικής Ορθόδοξης Εκκλησίας και να διαθέτουν γνώση και ικανότητα απόδοσης βυζαντινής μουσικής. Οι υποψήφιοι θα πρέπει να διαθέτουν τουλάχιστον ένα έτος εμπειρίας στον τομέα.
CHURCH SEXTON JOB DESCRIPTION
This position has always been known as “Sexton”. The purpose of the position is: “to provide assistance to the priest (in the Mass, in Vespers, Matins, Sacraments, or any other service required by the Liturgical cycle of the church), minor maintenance and cleaning of the church grounds, building and its contents.” Sexton is the employee who takes care of the church property and he is a pious Christian, participates in the life of the Church and its Sacraments. He must have an excellent working relationship with the priest, performing his duties under his supervision.
The list of responsibilities includes:
- In the absence of the secretary, during the morning hours, he responds to telephone calls and takes the messages to relay to the secretary or to the priest.
- He answers politely on the phone and generally has a respectful and demeanour to all who approach him, especially parishioners, as befitting the solemnity of the Holy Temple.
- The candles are lit at all times and candles are lit before the services.
- Preparation for the Mass.
- Making sure that whatever is needed for the Orthodox service is prepared in a reverential and respectful way.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform Byzantine music.
- Offering the censer to the priest, wearing a cassock during the administration of sacraments and services, ringing the bells, cutting up the offering of bread, making sure that there is order, respect and silence during the services, making sure that the altar area including the sacristy is clean and orderly at all times.
- Few of the services offered by the sexton, too numerous to mention here, essential for the smooth operation of our services to God.
- Following the liturgy the altar and the sacristy area must be swept and cleaned immediately, removing all crumbs or leftover bread in the baskets or on the table where the bread had been sliced.
- The baptismal font is washed after every use and the holy vessels, censer, candle-holders etc. are cleaned regularly.
- Make sure that the vestments of the priests and the covers of the Holy Altar and the Oblation table is clean or that they have been regularly given to the cleaner’s.
- The table clothes and the covers must be washed after every time they have been used. The same applies to the altar boy’s vestments.
- The church and the nave area, as well as the mezzanine (gynaikonitis) must be cleaned after every church service and mopped once a week, or, if need be, after church services.
- The side emergency exit doors must be open whenever the church is open. The downstairs common hall and the toilets must be swept, disinfected with javel and mopped at least once a day.
- If an event or coffee offering is held after a funeral within the week on a week day, the hall and the toilets are washed.
- The area where garbage is deposited must be mopped and disinfected while mopping, with a solution of javel and water, every time garbage is removed from
- Wherever garbage is deposited, the area where it had been kept must also be disinfected with the same method.
- No containers, garbage bags of any sort or other material must be left outside of the entrances, including the area at rear of the church.
The list of other responsibilities includes:
- Mechanical (HCAC) systems (i.e. Operation and minor Maintenance)
- Chiller(s) and cooling Tower(s)
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Units
- Hot Water Systems
- Kitchen Equipment
- Piping Systems (i.e. Gas, Water, Fire Protection, and Sewer Systems)
- Liaison / Routine Contract Maintenance & Supply Companies (to Service the Building/Equipment/Grounds)
- Fire and Safety Companies
- Extermination Company
- Mechanical Contractors
- Receiving Supplies and upkeep of church property
- Logistics for events on church calendar (chairs/tables, lighting, acoustics, auto/video, etc)
- Building & grounds tasks not handled by contract service and /or church volunteer(s)
- Replacement of ceiling light bulbs (with reach)
- Picking up trash on grounds, cutting grass and, snow removal
- Work order request from the community Real Estate Deportment
- Taking out the kitchen trash after a meeting or event
- Local errands or trips that are needed by the church
Οι ενδιαφερόμενοι πρέπει να υποβάλλουν το βιογραφικό τους σημείωμα (CV) με συνοδευτική επιστολή μέχρι 15 Ιανουαρίου 2018 στη διεύθυνση:
Pelagia Adamidis, Interim Executive Director
Ref: Sexton position – MNΚΜ
Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal
5777 Wilderton Avenue, Montreal Qc H3S 2V7
ή με e-mail: [email protected] ή fax: 514-738-5466
Θα επικοινωνήσουμε μόνο με τους/τις υποψήφιους που θα επιλεχθούν για συνέντευξη. Η ΕΚΜΜ είναι εργοδότης ίσων ευκαιριών