Certificates of Attainment in Greek
Recently, the annual examinations results of the Certificates of Attainment in Greek, were published in our Greek media platform. Given this opportunity, we present to you the background and the usability of this Certificate. The HCGM is the sole examination centre in Quebec and the HCGM schools focus on the appropriate preparation of their students, in order to help them succeed.
The Centre for the Greek Language and its function
The Centre for the Greek Language (hereafter CGL) was established in 1994 in Thessaloniki, Greece, as a non-profit organisation supervised by the Greek Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs. The CGL has been designated as the national headquarters where information on all matters concerning the Greek language and its teaching as a second or foreign language is collected and disseminated. The aims of the CGL are the following: (a) the overall support and promotion of the Greek language in Greece and abroad, (b) the subsequent reinforcement of Greek national identity in the Greeks of the Diaspora, (c) the organisation of the teaching of Greek to foreigners in Greece and abroad, (d) the support to teachers of the Greek language in Greece and abroad, (e) the production of teaching material and (f) all relevant materials which may contribute to the promotion and dissemination of the Greek language.
Enactment of the Certificate of Attainment in Greek
Up until 1998, the only Certificates of Attainment in Greek, recognised by the Greek State, were those issued by the School of Modern Greek of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, as well as, its counterpart, the School of Arts at the University of Athens. These certificates are mandatory for the registration of foreigners to Greek institutions of higher education. Any learners of Greek who happen to be in Greece may participate in the examinations held at the two universities. No provision had been made for anyone living abroad before May 1999. The Certificate of Attainment in Greek, which was established in November 1998 (Presidential Decree 363/98) by the Ministry of Education, responds to a persisting request of all learners of Greek in Greece and abroad for a state certificate of attainment available at various levels. The CGL, specifically the Division for the Support and Promotion of the Greek Language, has been assigned the exclusive and overall responsibility for the examination procedure through which the certificate of attainment in Greek may be awarded and has been conducting the examinations since 1999.
The usability of the Certificate of Attainment in Greek
The Certificate of Attainment in Greek:
• provides any user of Greek with an expert and objective opinion regarding the level of their knowledge and language skills,
• serves as proof of the successful candidate’s level of attainment in Greek in the work force.
• is a requirement for the practice of various professions in Greece.
• allows citizens of the European Union member states to participate in the examination of the Supreme Council of Personnel Selection (ΑΣΕΠ) for civil service positions (The Supreme Council specifies the required level of certification in their announcements).
• Level B2 allows foreigners to register at a Greek institution of higher education, if they do not possess a Greek secondary education diploma (M.R. 152/Β6/1504/30-5-2001 – Official Government Gazette 659 vol.Β΄).
• Level C2 allows citizens of the European Union member states to prove complete knowledge and fluent use of the Greek language, and therefore to be employed in a Greek institution of higher education.